Living costs in Norway
Here you can get an overview of tuition and expected living costs in Norway. Please notice that Erasmus+ students do not pay any tuition or semester fees.
An estimate of an average student budget in Norway is about 9.000-10.000 NOK per month for living expenses including housing, food, study materials, transport and activities.
Examples of what different items may cost in Norway
Erasmus-students are exempted for tuition, study and semester fees. For other students:
- Study fee for Norwegian and EU/EEA students: 3900 NOK per semester
- Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students: 57.000 NOK per semester (not confirmed)
- Semester fee to student welfare organisation: 500–600 NOK per semester
- Books: 1500–3500 NOK per semester
- Housing: 3500–5000 NOK / month
- Food and daily expenses: 4000–5000 NOK / month
- Bus card: 500 NOK / month
Examples of other costs:
- Lunch at the student cafeteria: 30–60 NOK
- Dinner at a restaurant: 120–250 NOK
- Gym membership: 220–360 NOK / month
- Cinema ticket: 150 NOK
Please notice that non-EU/EEA students must document a sufficient funding when applying for a residence permit. The required amount is 137.907 NOK a year for living costs (academic year 2023-24). Also funding for tuition must be documented.
For more information please see www.udi.no/en